Family owned & operated in Monroe, Wisconsin

Feta & Greek Yogurt Brick, Muenster & Havarti Sour Cream, Greek
Yogurt Dip & Feta Spread

Retail Food-Service

Our Family Story

Klondike Cheese Co.

Klondike Cheese Co. - Buholzer Family History

The history of the Klondike Cheese Co. is also the history of the Buholzer family and its commitment to excellence in the Cheese industry. Klondike Cheese has been producing award winning cheese at the same location since the late 1800's.

In 1925 Ernest & Marie Buholzer settled in Green County Wisconsin after arriving from Switzerland and Ernest began making Swiss cheese for the Farmers Cooperative. Alvin X. Buholzer began making cheese with his father in 1946. Al and his wife Rosa with their sons Ron, Dave, and Steve formed a family corporation and purchased the assets of the Klondike Cheese Factory in 1972, naming their new corporation A.X. Buholzer and Sons, becoming the Klondike Cheese Co..

Since 1925 the family has been creating fine cheeses to suit the tastes of each particular era. Today Klondike Cheese Co. is home to five Master Cheesemakers.  The three brothers of the third generation - Ron, Dave and Steve Buholzer, along with Adam Buholzer, son of Steve and representing the fourth generation have all achieved Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker® status.  They have been recognized as successfully completing the advanced training program administered by the Wisconsin Center for Dairy Research. The Wisconsin Master Cheesemaker® program is the only one of its kind in the United States. The secret to Klondike's quality is the combination of using state-of-the-art equipment, our own very special recipes and time-honored traditions of cheesemaking.

At this time, seven members of the Buholzer family work together at Klondike. Ron, Dave and Steve, follow in the footsteps of their father, Alvin, as well as their grandfather, Ernest. The fourth generation of the Buholzer family includes Ron's son Luke as well as Steve’s son, Adam and his wife Teena, and daughter Melissa Erdley and her husband Matt.

While we're proud of our history, we know our reputation depends on the quality cheese we produce today. All told, our cheeses have earned many awards but our greatest joy is when we hear from someone how much they have enjoyed one of our cheese's. Today, Klondike Cheese produces award-winning Feta, Muenster, Brick and Havarti cheeses.

Klondike, which markets about 80 percent of its Feta for foodservice, also sells its Feta at retail using the Odyssey® Feta Cheese brand name.


About Klondike Cheese Co.

1925

Ernest Buholzer starts making Swiss cheese wheels, then Swiss cheese blocks. Through the late 1960s, the company's main product was Swiss cheese. The last piece of Swiss cheese was produced in January, 1970.


1947

A 1940s state-of-the-art Make Room is added by the farmer owners of the co-operative.


1954

Al Buholzer purchases the company's first can milk truck, which makes it easier for some of the farmers because they no longer need to bring their milk cans to the factory.


1956

When the farmers switch from cans to bulk milk, Al Buholzer purchases a bulk milk truck.


1972

Al and Rosa Buholzer buy the cheese factory from the Farmers Co-op, and name their new corporation A.X. Buholzer and sons.


1980

A new brine and cheese-making area are added to the plant. Also, small batches of Brick and Muenster cheeses are produced for the first time. Production now in large quantities continues into the present day.


1988

Feta Cheese recipe is developed. Today, it's the major cheese produced by Klondike Cheese Co..


1997

Plant expansion takes place for the Feta Make Room.


2000

New Feta plant is built. The coagulator, one of only three in the United States is installed.


2002

The first crumble line is added to convert loaf Feta into crumbles.


2004

The first Havarti cheese is made. The company also builds its own wastewater treatment plant. Construction of a lagoon system for waste treatment was completed and is operational. The system is made up of three lagoons that hold a total of 11 million gallons of liquid. Wastewater will be transferred from anaerobic to aerobic lagoons as bacteria break down waste material. The finished product is used to irrigate several hundred acres of farmland owned by Klondike.


2005

The Second and Third crumble lines are added to convert loaf Feta into crumbles as demand soars.


2012

Ground is broken for Greek Yogurt Plant.


2013

Addition of Greek Yogurt Plant is complete and introduction of Greek Yogurt is launched for distribution.