About Us

ABOUT KLONDIKE CHEESE CO.


1925

Ernest Buholzer starts making Swiss cheese wheels, then Swiss cheese blocks. Through the late 1960s, the company’s main product was Swiss cheese. The last piece of Swiss cheese was produced in January, 1970.

1947

A 1940s state-of-the-art Make Room is added by the farmer owners of the co-operative.

1954

Al Buholzer purchases the company’s first can milk truck, which makes it easier for some of the farmers because they no longer need to bring their milk cans to the factory.

1956

When the farmers switch from cans to bulk milk, Al Buholzer purchases a bulk milk truck.

1972

Al and Rosa Buholzer buy the cheese factory from the Farmers Co-op, and name their new corporation A.X. Buholzer and sons.

1980

A new brine and cheese-making area are added to the plant. Also, small batches of Brick and Muenster cheeses are produced for the first time. Production now in large quantities continues into the present day.

1988

Feta Cheese recipe is developed. Today, it’s the major cheese produced by Klondike Cheese Co..

1997

Plant expansion takes place for the Feta Make Room.

2000

New Feta plant is built. The coagulator, one of only three in the United States is installed.

2002

The first crumble line is added to convert loaf Feta into crumbles.

2004

The first Havarti cheese is made. The company also builds its own wastewater treatment plant. Construction of a lagoon system for waste treatment was completed and is operational. The system is made up of three lagoons that hold a total of 11 million gallons of liquid. Wastewater will be transferred from anaerobic to aerobic lagoons as bacteria break down waste material. The finished product is used to irrigate several hundred acres of farmland owned by Klondike.

2005

The Second and Third crumble lines are added to convert loaf Feta into crumbles as demand soars.

2012

Ground is broken for Greek Yogurt Plant.

2013

Addition of Greek Yogurt Plant is complete and introduction of Greek Yogurt is launched for distribution.